tollermom: (Default)

April 2017

1617181920 2122

Custom Text

Most Popular Tags

Wow... so I kinda forgot to update here after the "Eek I have to have surgery!" post.

After going to the walk-in (irony, there) clinic on Tuesday and finding out I needed surgery, I got a call from the scheduler on Wednesday telling me that Dr. Hupfer could fit me in on Thursday. Thursday? Like, _tomorrow_ Thursday??? EEEEEK!!

But it needed to be done sooner rather than later, and I started making panic-stricken calls and emails to see if we could get everything arranged in time. Jen, Barry and Michael came up after work and moved my bed from the basement to the living room, and staged everything else that I would need in easy reaching distance. Various friends offered to Debbie-sit, and I put them all in an email together and let them sort out the scheduling. Bob offered to take me to the hospital on Thursday afternoon, and Jen offered to pick me up and bring me home, and Liz was onboard to stay for the first night. My friend Christin, who's showing Nick for me (loaner dog visiting from Canada), and her mom (mostly her mom) agreed to take the dogs while I was out of commission, and Sherri came up and helped me haul the entire canine crew off to boarding.

Before I had a chance to panic, everything was arranged and Bob was whisking me off to IOH for surgery. According to Dr. Hupfer, the surgery went well and they were able to put me back together with a plate and five pins without need of the syndesmosis screw (between the tibia and fibula) that would have required me to be non-weight-bearing for months instead of only a week or so. Jen and Liz managed to get seriously drugged me into the house and settled in bed and the next couple of days kinda went by in a blur. (Sidenote: Percocet is good stuff. Also, oxycodone makes me itchy... apparently this is normal, but it freaked me out at first. Benadryl and Percocet combine for Really Good Sleep, which is most of where Friday and Saturday disappeared.) After Liz took the first night shift, Rexene came up and stayed for the next couple of days, and we made good use of the supplies laid in by Li, who ensured that I'd have easy to fix/eat foot for convalescing.

So... here we are on Tuesday... almost five days later. Spending a week in bed is getting old, but my energy levels are about up to hobbling to and from the bathroom and anything beyond that is gravy. Actually assembling food is kinda possible, but carrying it from kitchen to somewhere for eating isn't really a possibility when both hands are busy with crutches, so I still have people coming by and making sure I stay fed. Liz is back today, and she brought cookies. Yum. Also, crocheting, which is amusing the cats (Izzy keeps trying to help).

Friday, I have a 9:15 a.m. appointment to go get the staples out and (hopefully) a real cast to replace the current fiberglass splint and miles of gauze and ACE bandage. If I'm really lucky, I will get ordered to start putting some weight on it, which might liberate me from All Crutches All The Time, which would be nice. If nothing else, being able to hobble on one crutch and carry things in one hand would be a novel change. :-)

Sunday, we have a fire department picnic for 9-11, where I get to go and convince them that "No, I'm not quitting because of this... seriously, guys, you're stuck with me!" :-)

Til then... sleep... lots of sleep. And maybe cookies.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-06 10:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Thanks for the update. I'm so very glad you have such wonderful friends who are able to help so quickly and brilliantly.

Ain't it grand to know you have such great friends? IMO, it says a lot about how terrific you are!

*hugs* and hope you heal really fast.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-06 11:32 pm (UTC)
madfilkentist: Photo of Carl (Default)
From: [personal profile] madfilkentist
Here's hoping for a good recovery.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-07 02:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Hope your foot gets better quickly.

I hope you get to have an air cast. I loved my air cast after my foot injury last year; it let me wash, and provided full support.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-07 02:15 am (UTC)
spiritdancer: (Default)
From: [personal profile] spiritdancer
Glad to hear that things have been going well (for certain values of "well"). I still need to catch up with you by phone sometime, but it's not urgent. Then again, if you want to talk to someone besides yourself, feel free to give me a call (best time is generally mid-afternoonish, central time)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-07 04:35 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I'm glad you're doing so well, and not allowing yourself to be derailed from doing what you want to do. Perhaps this will inspire me to recover from my self-inflicted financial woes.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-07 11:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
As I said on facebook, I'm so glad you were able to ask for help and to get it!!!!

Wishes for continued healing, good sleep and good cookies :).

(no subject)

Date: 2011-09-07 04:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
It's amazing all of the little things that you can't do when you're recovering. I was just so happy to have BW keep my eyelids apart so I could put in my contacts. But 11 weeks post surgery I was able to do pretty much everything by myself again.

Hope you have a fast and easy recovery!! When do the dogs all come home?